- Former Church & Heritage Centre
- Stunning Architecture
- Huge Potential for Residential/Commercial Development
- Many Original Features
- Gross Internal Area 447 sqm (approx)
- Sits on 1066 sqm plot (approx)
- Outside Space
- Lovely Sea Views from Tower
- Convenient Position for many uses
- CHAIN FREE
How about something a little different?...................St Thomas Church is situated within the very heart of Ryde's community as one would expect from a former church. The town centre is literally 100 yards up the road and The Esplanade and beach are roughly 600 yards away. The location is important to the future use of the building, which we feel is initially only limited by one's imagination and then approval from the planning department in the council. That said, the vendor suggests that the council made positive comments towards supporting a residential development as well as more commercial options. We understand that many churches have been converted throughout the country and across the Island into elaborate homes, apartments, holiday accommodation, night clubs, dance schools, shopping arcades and galleries. An incredible example of church conversion can be seen at St Thomas's namesake in Southgate, Winchester where 9 luxury homes embracing the architectural detail and large stained glass window apertures have been created and sold off to discerning buyers. Another would be the church in the centre of Tynemouth which has been a shopping arcade for some 30 years or so.
A substantial stone built Grade 2 Listed church dating from circa 1827 to replace St Thomas Chapel. The church was in use until 1959 as a place of worship when its doors were closed for the final time. The site runs to 1,066 sqm (11,474 sqft, just over a quarter of an acre) and the building has footprint of approximately 447 sqm (4811 sqft). The building itself comprises the main area of worship with some original pews still in place. The main area on the ground floor runs to circa 340sqm (3,659 sqft) and is supported by w.cs (including disabled facilities at the rear). As the enter the church from the front (west end) there are 2 stone staircases allowing access to the first floor galleries which run along both sides of the church to the rear with an area of circa 185 sqm (1,991 sqft). There are 2 further small areas off, with access to the bell tower.
NB.The area surrounding the church still contains many headstones and graves.
There are covenants on the property from the Diocese. These may potentially be altered, however are currently in place.
Please also note that interested parties should discuss any development ideas with the Isle of Wight Planning Authority before any offers
are submitted for consideration.